UK magazine Grazia has begun an online petition to bring McQueen’s work across the pond with the recent success of the Alexander McQueen: Savage Beauty exhibit hosted at the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s Costume Institute.
The Grazia website lists six reasons why the exhibit should come to the UK:
1. Lee Alexander McQueen was born and raised in London by Londoners.
2. He was educated at London’s most famous art school St Martins School of Art, and trained on London’s most famous tailoring street, Savile Row
3. He lived, worked and was largely inspired by London.
4. He began and made his name and career in London
5. He loved London
6. The Alexander McQueen business is based in London, and directed by an English designer.
7. British people want this
So far, 1647 have signed the petition.
Representatives of McQueen have responded to the global interest in “Savage Beauty” positively, claiming that they “are thrilled with the obvious appreciation of the exhibition at the Met and are waiting until the end of the exhibition before making any further decisions.'”